Saturday, December 10, 2011

What's the Good?

Yesterday at work, I got a call from my doctor. He was calling to report on the results of some tests I had done a couple of weeks ago at my annual physical examination. It is the first time he has ever called me. Doctors only call if there is something wrong.

Thankfully, it wasn't really bad news, there was a bit of concern over one of the tests and I will have to get checked out again next spring. But still, it freaked me out a little. I've always been really healthy, so I didn't know what to do with this.

I hung up the phone and sat and stared at my computer. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. Then I told myself that everything was going to be just fine. I couldn't do anything until the spring anyway, so there was no use in worrying. I breathed. I told a friend. I called my mom, but she wasn't home. I worried again, then felt okay. I panicked for a bit, then settled. I went for a walk. I talked it out. And I asked myself, "What's the good?"

That was the turning point.

You see, in the midst of bad news, or what looks to be a bad situation, there is usually a good side to it.. usually. I mean, on any given day I have the opportunity to look at quite a few things in either a positive or a negative light- every day!

So the good- there is actually so much good in this. The good is that it wasn't really bad news, it could have been so much worse. And it sort of gave me a kick in the pants to remember again not to take life for granted. Dreams are for persuing and life is for living to the max. I remembered how much I wanted to travel with my daughter and experience things with her. This was all good.

The other good thing is that life seems to be teaching me lately that I can't control everything, so the best way to deal with uncertainty is to make room for it and be okay with it. I realized I was being taught this lesson again and know that when I remember to make room for uncertainty, it brings a feeling of peace and contentment.

So what about you? Finding the good can apply to so many situations- job loss, break down of a relationship and so many others. In your situation, right here, right now.. what's the good?

No comments: