Wednesday, March 9, 2011

20 Beaches and Counting: My First


The other day my mind wandered over to the beach, and I missed being there. I thought about all the beaches that have been a part of my life over the years, and decided to feature one beach each week in this blog, along with a memory and a photo. I'm up to 20 beaches, but I keep remembering more each day, so the number may change from week to week. Ah.. the beach.

This week I'm remembering a beach in Port Credit, on Lake Ontario. I lived with my family on that beach from the time I was about a year old until I was seven years old, at which time my parents separated and we were forced to move. Our backyard actually backed right on to the lake. It was a rocky beach, and I remember spending hours walking upon the rocks, alone, collecting pieces of coloured glass, of which I would smash between two large rocks, into powder (now that I'm thinking back, I wonder just how "big" those rocks could have been in the hands of a 7 year old?). I would then pour the bits of glass powder into a clear glass jar, and with each piece, the jar would take on the beautiful colour of that glass, layer upon layer.

No comments: