Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beaches & Sunsets

This week is the one week during the summer when I steal away with my daughter to Port Elgin, Ontario, located on the eastern shore of Lake Huron. If you've been following my blog posts you know that this is a place I have come to pretty much every summer since I was a child.


As I looked across the lake from the beach the other day, the thought occurred to me that, although I have visited the beaches of Mexico numerous times over the past couple of years, as well as many other beaches throughout the Caribbean, I still find this place beautiful. In fact, I think it may look especially beautiful now. Because I have become so accustomed to the beaches of Mexico, I notice the differences between the two places more. I looked across the shoreline and noticed how green the trees were against the colours of the beach and water. The sand is a dark brown and compact. Pieces of driftwood are scattered along the sand, as well as pieces of green seaweed, large rocks and tiny shells. There's a real wilderness feel here that is unique and beautiful all on its own.

There's a winding road (and now a bike path!) that runs along the beach, pretty much from Port Elgin to Southampton. It's the prettiest drive, although my eyes are naturally drawn to the dark blue and turquoise water when they should be on the road. My daughter and I stopped for a picnic lunch one day and the view was breathtaking.


Of course, for any of you who are familiar with this area, residents pride themselves in what they claim are the best sunsets anywhere. In fact, a crowd will gather each night at the marina in Port Elgin or the end of the main street in Southampton that leads down to the lake to watch nature put on her show. Camera's click away at the fiery display, and often times a round a of applause follows.


Then, turning to walk back, the moon.


It's good to be back.

1 comment:

craig said...

"best sunsets anywhere".... well, i guess the best sunset is always the one you are watching...

stay adventurous, Craig